Learning Spanish is not as difficult as you may think. This year I received my second level diploma, and that’s something I never thought I would achieve. However, to my surprise, I now converse with my Spanish clients easily, and I receive compliments from them all the time on how well I have progressed.
Although many people in Spain understand and speak some English, the Spanish people are always very appreciative when visitors make an effort to speak in Spanish, even if it is just a word or two. If you try to speak a few basic words whilst you are on holidays in Majorca …
… you will make a big impression.
Before we start, I should mention here, that when pronouncing words in the Spanish language, there are a few fairly important things to remember:
- The Spanish roll their rr’s.
- The v in Spanish is pronounced b.
- The letter c is pronounced the, unless it is precedes a, o, or u.
- The letter d is pronounced as th if it is at the end of a word.
- The j is pronounced with a guttural sounding of khh.
- The letter q sounds like a k in Spanish.
- The letter v is pronounced with a closed lip b.
- When you see ch, you can relax, because it is pronounced the same as in English.
- A double LL is pronounced y and the ñ is pronounced ny.
Don’t worry, you’ll catch on to these rules eventually. The important thing is to take things slowly at first, and only do as much as you can comfortably grasp in one day. I found it difficult to remember things at first, but you will be surprised, that with a little practice, you’ll find yourself gradually remembering Spanish numbers and words more easily.
Learning Spanish (Castilian) can be quite easy and will prove to be useful to you when you decide to take your holidays in Spain. So, why not let us help you to get a start on learning Spanish. Just click on the links below to go to our Spanish Words and/or Numbers Tables. The words in the first column are in English. The second column contains the Spanish translation, followed by the third column which contains the Spanish word in phonetics, to help you to pronounce the word correct.
Learn Common Spanish Words and Spanish Phrases
Weeks and Months